Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I'm ENGAGED!



This may be old news for some of you dedicated readers, but for the rest of you... I'm getting married! To Jessica! Yay! Needless to say I'm extreamly excited, and as cliche as it sounds I really do honestly feel like the luckiest guy in the world.

Ok so for those of you who don't know, Jess and I have been friends for 3+ years, and been together for almost a year now... We'd been talking a little bit about marriage, but niether of us are the type to plan it all out before it's official. So all we'd said was that we loved each other and hoped that we'd get married some day. That was enough for me. So on MLK day I went ring shopping, picked out a ring, put in on hold, and later that week after Jess's room mate Annie approved of it, I bought the ring! Jess had no idea. I still didn't really have an idea of how I was going to do it... but I told her I wanted to take her out on a "just us" date on Friday.

So Friday came around and Jess had no idea what we were doing or what was going on... I came by and picked her up, she looked really beautiful, I brought her roses (a first in our year of dating), and we went to a symphony preformance on campus. Jessica and I both really like symphonies, and it ment that we had to dress up which is fun. After that I took Jessica out to her favorite resturaunt in IF, Snake Bite. This is another thing that we've never done together, even though Jess had told me before that "Snake Bite is where a boy takes a girl when he really likes her". After that we spent some time parked up by the Rexburg Temple talking about our relationship and everything.... Jessica had written me a really sweet letter that she read to me as well. After that we headed back to her place, and the date was over.. or so Jessica thought. After hanging out upstairs for about an hour, I told Jess I was tired and going to go home. Jess was a little sad, since it was still kind of early, and insisted on walking me out to my car... but thank goodness, Annie was able to distract Jessica and keep her in her room playing guitar for a while. A few min later I call jess and ask her if she could run me out my wallet that I had left in her room. So Jess comes downstairs, only to notice candles lining the stairs... she slowly proceeds only to find more and more candles downstairs, covering the tables, the counters, the couches, and all of the floor except for a small path through the kichen to the back door. In total there were about 300 candles.... "what the heck.... candles?" she kept saying... finally she gets to the back door and opens it, but no Dave. Then I came out of the down stairs bathroom where I'd been hiding with my guitar. This is pretty much when my nervousness reached it's all time peak. I'd written Jessica a song on guitar, and played it to a still very confused Jessica. After the song I put down the guitar, got down on my knee, Jessica started to cry, I pulled out the ring and asked her... and she said YES! :D it was awesome! Jessica cried and cried, and was sooooo cute. After hugging for a bit I asked her again just to be really sure, and then put the ring on her finger. It sounds cliche again, but it honestly was the happiest I've ever been in my entire life. Words can not describe... then after who knows how long, Annie and our friend James (who were both in on it) came in, and we made strawberry short cake and pretty much just had a super happy happy freak out overload for hours and called family. I'd called Jessica's dad earilier in the day to ask his permission (which was probably more nerve racking that asking her...) but he said he wouldn't tell Jess's mom.

So thats the story! I know lots of people say being engaged stinks... but It's been pretty amazing so far. We're going to be married April 12th at either the L.A. or NewPort Beach temple! More details TBA...

Here are lots of pics ... they make me happy.

9 comments:

  1. I still think it's funny that I've never MET JESSICA....and I probably wont meet her until you get married....and then you'll go away...and who knows when i'll see her????? You guys will need to plan some "hang out" time in CA this summer so we can get to know her!
    Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. who says being engaged stinks? shallow horndog mormons, i guess. That's not to say that all horndogs are shallow. But it's the shallow ones that hate being engaged, i would guess.

    I'm so stoked for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Dave! You look so happy. She's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Dave...How exciting! You guys look great together.
    Send me your email so my wife can send you an invite to our blog.
    hulmerus.blogspot.com

    Jon Hulme

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATIONS!! Seriously, cool beans :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome. We got engaged around the same time, is that weird? You're totally beating me though. April. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Dave! What a great proposal! I like it when guys go the extra mile to make proposals special. We hope to make it to your wedding and we are excited to meet Jessica. Good luck with all the wedding plans!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard how it all happened from jess, but it is so cool to hear it from your P.O.V.
    Thanks for making my lil' Jess so happy. She is an amazing woman...as you know. I'm so happy for both of you.
    Love you both, and can't wait for the Day of days!
    Leeann,Mom...LeanMom
    (the lean mom is a joke. It's not a statement about my weight, it's a joke because so many people misspell my name like this "Lean".
    I always wonder, don't they know that spells lean, as in Jack Sprat, not LeeAnn as in the name?
    So tht explains it.)

    ReplyDelete